No Safe Space for Bigots or Billionaires
By: Matt Sedillo
The Southwest Political Report
Vice-president elect Pence, we welcome you and we truly thank you for joining us at Hamilton: An American Musical. We really do. We, sir, are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and work on behalf of all of us. All of us. We truly thank you for sharing this show, this wonderful American story told by a diverse group of men, women of different colors, creeds, and orientations.”- Brandon Victor Dixon cast member of Hamilton
“The Theater must always be a safe and special place.The cast of Hamilton was very rude last night to a very good man, Mike Pence. Apologize!”- Donald Trump
The sheer absurdity of Donald Trump, the “I am not politically correct” Internet Troll in Chief, demanding a “safe space” was a stretch even by the previously set standards of the most hypocritical campaigner in living memory. But then again consistency has never been a requirement for bigots and the double standard in many ways is one of the clearest measures of power. And indeed the Eugenicist elect and his running mate Mike Pence have made their political careers deeply steeped in bigotry.
Readers of The Southwest Political Report, and really anyone who was alive during 2016 are well familiar with the white supremacy and open misogyny that defined the Make America Great Again campaign of Donald Trump. Mike Pence has had a much longer political career one that has seen him at the center of many controversies. Pence first won a congressional seat in 2000. His campaign site included a section of his platform entitled “Strengthening the American Family.” Here are its bullet points in their entirety.
” Strengthening the American Family
• The traditional two parent family is the nucleus of our civilization. Accordingly,
• Congress should support legislation designed to strengthen the economic vitality and cultural primacy of the two parent family.
• Congress should pursue tax relief and tax reform that makes it more possible for more families to live on one income so that one parent may choose to be a full-time at home parent if they so desire.
• Congress should pass legislation that would require agencies to prepare a “Family Impact Statement” to assess the effect of all federal legislation and regulation on the two parent family. This would enact into law President Reagan’s 1986 Executive Order 12606 which President Clinton revoked.
• Congress should pass the Child Custody Protection Act to require parental notification prior to the delivery of any contraceptive drugs or devices to minor children by any Title X funded clinics.
• Congress should oppose any effort to put gay and lesbian relationships on an equal legal status with heterosexual marriage.
• Congress should oppose any effort to recognize homosexual’s as a “discreet and insular minority” entitled to the protection of anti-discrimination laws similar to those extended to women and ethnic minorities.
• Congress should support the reauthorization of the Ryan White Care Act only after completion of an audit to ensure that federal dollars were no longer being given to organizations that celebrate and encourage the types of behaviors that facilitate the spreading of the HIV virus. Resources should be directed toward those institutions which provide assistance to those seeking to change their sexual behavior.
In the closing sentence Mike Pence is actively calling for federal tax dollars to be used towards conversion therapy, which in many documented cases throughout the country has amounted to regiments of torture and shame. This is how Mike Pence’s political career began.
Just last year in 2015 as governor of Indiana, Mike Pence signed in the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. It was a bill that essentially made it legal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. The bill rightly made national headlines and thrust the bigotry of Mike Pence into the national spotlight.
The way in which the bill was presented to the public and indeed the way Mike Pence has always presented himself as a constant fighter for the “traditional family” fits very well with the presentation style of Donald Trump. Whereas Trump maybe crude and Pence maybe pious this is all sold as revival. This is how campaigns of bigotry operate, false victimhood and demands for restoration. Long before hopping aboard the Trump train this is representative of who Mike Pence is and has been.
Hamilton: An American Musical is a disgraceful multicultural combover for the brutality of this nation’s actual history. Portraying slave holding agents of genocide as big dreaming immigrants and worse yet black and brown immigrants is shameful and seeks to flatter the tastes of the rich and powerful, who prefer myths of the republic in order to better deny the realities of slavery and genocide that define so called American experience.
Hamilton: An American Musical is the entertainment equivalent of the 2016 DNC. It places a multicultural veneer over the truly unspeakable.The key difference being that the target audience for Hamilton is far more elite in its targets for consumption. Who can afford to see this drivel? Donald Trump in his twitter haste ironically demanded a safe space. But indeed the theater and all sort of private clubs do operate as safe spaces for the ultra wealthy.
What indeed could be safer or more flattering to the tastes of wealthy powerful white men then Hamilton a play where black and brown actors dress up as “the founders” and sing songs about their dreams and visions.
The Disgraceful state of affairs in the United States of America in 2016
A eugenicist is President Elect. An advocate for torturing gay people is Vice President. Hamilton is a disgraceful flattery of the rich and the powerful. Donald Trump a vicious misognyist white nationalist billionaire is constantly playing the victim as are his followers. Under the guise of attacking political correctness as weak and unmanly Trump and his followers are the most fragile beings immaginable. Even the mild concerns expressed by Hamilton which actually welcomed an advocate for the torture of homosexuals is seen as an act of resistence. This is a disgrace.
No safe space for bigots and class struggle willing no safe space for billionaires either.
Photo: Chicago Tribune